Tuesday, March 24, 2020

A Coronavirus delay



I spoke to the guy in charge at the Lilly Endowment last Friday, but internet in my little rural valley has been terrible the last few days, and I've been busy learning how to do church for my community from home.  (hint: internet doesn't work well.)

They are going to, in this extraordinary situation, let me delay the sabbatical, if necessary, until next year.   The situation raises some issues (for example, I will not be able to just move my travel insurance, because it is for people under 65 and by next May I will be too old for it) but ensures that I really do get to go on my trip.

I haven't yet canceled anything, but will in mid-late April.  Depending on how things look over the next five weeks, I might try to reschedule for August - October.  IF the Iona community decides to hold my retreat and IF Brot und Roses still wants me (both of which happen in August.)    But I think there is a very great likelihood that this virus emergency will continue at least through the entire summer, and into the Fall.  If that happens, I'll be again setting my sights on May, but this time, May 2021.  As Easter is early (April 4) in 2021, I might leave a tad earlier than I'd planned for this year.

So the sabbatical will still happen, just in a delayed timeframe.   The waiting will continue.

I am, this week, deeply grateful to the Lilly Endowment's Clergy Renewal Grant program for the grace to delay as I have to.   I feel blessed.

1 comment: