Tuesday, October 26, 2021

Paul’s steps in Athens - and a mistake

Paul made mistakes.   I think Athens was one.   He went there because it was the big city, and I’m sure he expected to evangelize lots of folks.   He went out of his way to meet the people where they were.   I visited the Acropolis, which was certainly one place people were in ancient Athens! Then I visited Mars Hill, the Areopagus in Acts, where Paul’s spoke about the “altar to a foreign God.” And next, I thought, I’ll go to the Forum.  But first some lunch.  It was, after all, almost 2 PM, and though I have been eating late, I was hungry. 

The day before I’d picked up a ticket for a local HOHO (Hop on Hop Off) bus, which was good through today, and I’d be darned if I was going to pay for a metro ride or walk when I had a free ticket.   And as I approached the Acropolis stop, there was a bus, just getting ready to leave.  I hopped on through it’s back doors after showing my ticket. 

You can cue the “wrong!” Buzzer here.   There were no seats, so I stood.  And stood.  And stood.   The next stop never came.   Looking out the window, I saw we were entering the highway.  To Piraeus, the port.   The ticket I had was good on three routes, Athens city center, Port of Piraeus and the Beaches east of Athens.     Looking at my map I began to have a sinking feeling.   It looked like the Port of Piraeus busses then went to the beaches.   I was in for a long ride. 

So I went to the beaches!   Which were lovely.  I did not get off the bus, even though I got quite cold (it was raining and this was one of those open top HOHOs, so the wind was coming down from the upper storey.   After Piraeus, I was able to get a seat.  But I did my best to appreciate what I had, rather than wish for what I had originally planned.  The forum will wait until another day.  

When Paul finally went to Corinth after Athens, I wonder what drew him there?  In Corinth, unlike Athens, he achieved his goal (while he did convert people in Athens, we don’t have a letter to the Athenians, do we?). He would spend a year and a half there.  He would write some of the most beautiful words in scripture to that church, and ultimately to us.   We take what we are given.   As the pillow in my office says, Love the people God gave you.  It’s a great first step.  And in three days I’ll be preparing to go home and love those people that God gave me.  

No comments:

Post a Comment