Sunday, November 24, 2019

Media

Rick Steves in the Holy Land. From his web site. (Ricksteves.com)
I don't actually take in information just via books and reading.   I like to have some stuff a bit more interactive, and I like TV!  So some of my best information is gotten visually and through the videos. And some I can carry on my phone.     Here are the media pieces I'm using.

Rick Steves

Yeah.   He shows up here first of all.  He just released a (very timely) video on Israelis and Palestinians, that I've already watched most of the extra material from.  Rick's special The Holy Land: Israelis and Palestinians Today.  There's also a Youtube video available on Facebook  where he is speaking in a Grace Lutheran Church in Palo Alto, CA as a fundraiser for Bright Stars of Bethlehem.   

Rick also, a couple years ago, did a special on Martin Luther, which helped a lot to inform my trip.  We got a copy a couple years ago (I pastor an ELCA church in addition to two UCC churches, and he gave a copy to each church in the country.  Thank you Rick)  That video is here.

Rick's regular shows are helpful I'm watching the associated shows on TV while I work in the evenings. In addition I am downloading some of his audio files to my phone in preparation for walking tours and the like.  AND listening to him every week as a podcast. 

Educational Video

What I've watched so far:

  • Holy Land Revealed, A 35 episode course by Jodi Magness, the Kenan Distinquished Professor for Teaching Excellence in Early Judaism at the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill.  This is one of those packaged college level courses with no college level tests, texts or papers, and really excellent. She covers biblical sites from the time of about David through the fall of Jerusalem as a result of the second Jewish revolt, and is a particular expert on Qumran. 
  • Ancient Roads from Christ to Constantine, A six hour series following from the death of Christ and the age of the Apostles to to Constantine helps flesh out a lot of early church history and changes in the church as it struggled as a minority religion in its first three centuries.    Part travel documentary, part church history, and a little dated in appearance.  
  • A Survey of Church History, with W. Robert Godfrey is an extended series of half hour courses in two sets.  One follows ancient church history, overlapping a little with Ancient roads, but bringing more thought to theology, especially from a reformed tradition. The second series follows church history through the Middle Ages, and highlights some important folks to my journey, like Francis of Assisi. 
  • This Changed Everything, A three part documentary on the Reformation, created for the recent 500th anniversary.   Particularly good at highlighting the story of the Anabaptists, which I found helpful.  Also really highlights the division and fragmentation in the protestant movement.  This series had both Roman Catholic and Protestant theologians and I thought was an exceptionally balanced presentation. 
  • In Search of Hidden Holy Sites.  Very new-agey, very mystical, and not particularly helpful for logistics or Christian history.  Can't recommend this. 
  • Added 1/16/20 - I found a book and DVD from the 2017 National Synod and from the Presbyterian Church, entitled Resettling Zionism which looks at Zionism and the Palestinian issues.    It has been very worthwhile. 
This list is a work in progress, so if you have ideas or suggestions, please let me know.  I've yet to find something to discuss the Puritan movement.  I'm also interested in podcast options, if you know of any!

No comments:

Post a Comment