Monday, January 20, 2020

Trying out the wardrobe


So I have narrowed down my wardrobe for the sabbatical.  I have watched all the videos about packing, about figuring out the wardrobe.   It's all laid out above.

I have a wide range of stuff to pack for!   I'm backpacking for four days, traveling around a wide variety of settings, but also going to churches, and joining friends for dinner, attending a concert at Hamburg's new Elbphilharmonie, going to a family graduation. And visiting a LOT of churches.   So my clothes need to be really flexible!   So here is what I have. They include what I will wear on the plane (with *)

Pants: 3 pair.  These are in the middle of the picture.

  • 2 pr Clothing Arts Pickpocket proof travel pants.  These pants have an amazing number of hidden pockets.  In summer my stuff in my money belt gets sodden with sweat, especially when I am doing a LOT of exercise, so having these pockets within pockets within pockets is helpful.   1 pair black, 1 pair olive green*
  • 1 pr convertible trekking pants in khaki.  These are the kind that zip off to be short.   People don't much wear shorts in Europe, but I'll spend lots of time in the sun, and want this option.   These also have hidden zipper pockets for my valuables.
Skirt: 1.   Long blue Travelsmith skirt.   Suitable for throwing over pants when necessary.  Nice enough for the Elbphilharmonie. It's at the bottom in the middle, not very clear.   Yes, it has a hidden pocket, but not as nice as the others, so I'll need to use a money belt with it.   

Shirts: 8 - this is where I get flexibility. 
  • 3 tanks.  One light green, one solid black, one print blue/purple/black/white
  • 2 short sleeve shirts.   1 olive green.   1 grey speedo oversized T with SPF protection, to be also used as a coverup, or to wear while floating on the Dead Sea, if I do that. 
  • 1 mid-length sleeve, solid black, boat neck; I think I've had this close to 30 years.  From Travelsmith, and very pretty, but they don't make it any more.*
  • 2 long sleeved shirt.  One a blue, white, green print gauzy shirt that pulls over my head, the other an olive green and black plaid* that I've had, again, more than 20 years. Wore it to the Grand Canyon.  Used to have SPF 50, but not sure it does any more.   Still I can pull it on over anything and my arms are covered. And it goes with practically everything else.
Misc:
  • A swimsuit
  • A pareo/scarf so I can cover my body after getting out of the water, and cover my head before going in a mosque.   I have two and have not decided if the one pictured is the one that is going.
  • A scarf - olive green with little blue and yellow flowers. To dress an outfit up a little. I'm not taking jewelry. Also big to cover my head. 
  • A tiny scarf with soaking pellets in it.  You put it in water at night and voila!   it sits around your neck all day and keeps you cool.  Mine is olive green camo print.  Another thing I've had for 20 years since hiking the Grand Canyon in 1999.
  • 5 pairs sock liners
  • 4 pairs hiking socks*
  • 1 pair compression socks* (for flights: I'm 63 years old, and my chances of deep vein thrombosis are higher.   Yes, I exercise, yes I will walk some on the flight (though I'm in a window seat) but it just makes sense to have a pair.)   Mine are black, so I can just wear them as regular socks, too. 
  • 6 pairs travel underwear (there is nothing as bad for me as underwear that is wet the morning after you rinse it out in the sink.   This stuff is dry in the morning.) 
  • 2 bras (only one pictured here)
  • Jammies: a pair of Lularoe leggings and oversize shirt.  In olive and blue, so I can wear it to the laundromat or swap it out with other portions of my wardrobe when I'm desperate.
  • Shoes: 1 pr hiking boots*, 1 pr black Keen Whisper sandals - yup these have to be dressy enough for the Elbphilharmonie!  
  • Tilly Hat to keep the sun off my face and neck, without too much sweat.  (Gift from my husband for my last birthday)
It all fits easily in my backpack, at least packed in 2 1/2 gallon ziplock bags (which I use in lieu of packing cubes) and I'm taking most of it on the road this week for the Penn Central Conference Clergy Sabbath, in the backpack, just to try it out.   I realized I don't yet have a rain jacket, which I'll also use for warmth when needed.  Still need to settle on one of those. 

This also doesn't include gear, which I've been gathering, but don't yet have all of.    

This is my wardrobe for 15 weeks of the summer.  Think I can do it?  

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely. You'll be totally sick of every single garment by the end, but they will work.

    ReplyDelete