Thursday, June 17, 2021

No Camping!

So today I gave in and booked a nice but overly expensive hotel for the middle night of my Jesus Trail pilgrimage.  There was a big important reason for this.  The only viable alternative to this hotel is camping.   For this single night, I was  going to carry a tent, sleeping bag and sleeping pad for four weeks. 

There was also a camping night in England, but I dropped that because I am not going to countries that I'd only be in for 24-48 hours from my itinerary (too much bother with Covid testing at most countries, to add that.)  And I'd toyed with camping on the Luther Trail in Germany, but was not sure about this. 

This really lightens my pack, and allows for adding a couple things I'd dropped off my packing list (like my scarf!)  

So goodbye tent, goodbye groundcloth, goodbye sleeping bag, goodbye air mattress!    I'll still take the camping bowl and cutlery, and a couple other small items that I'll need along the trail no matter what.   It's still a hostel-heavy trip.  But not a camping trip. 

I think this is a good thing.

No comments:

Post a Comment