Thursday, August 19, 2021

I love Assisi

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1_iqW_e1KzD2Q4H8YyDHN4x0fN9ien2BOhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1aubdX79uWIiFVDvmN8yGxtqdni4SfalHhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1luFQgyS6wlMhMv7-FGKSuuApLdnGiVJN
I remember that I loved Assisi before:   I love it again after a morning of churches, an order of the best meals of my life. 

This morning I traced (with the Rick Steves Auio tour) Francis and Clare.   And checked out Roman amphitheater space, medieval city gates and an extra church.   I’ll skip the scenic views and back alleys, and focus on the churches. 

The first was the cathedral of SanRuffino, the patron saint of Assisi.  This is where Francis and Clare were baptized, grew up, ha their first Holy Communion and Confirmation, where Francis share with the bishop his developing sense of call and what that might mean for his life as a wealthy merchant’s son, in other words, it was the church that formed them 

Sara Chiara is the pilgrimage church, and location of the tomb of St. Clare.  A super important point here is that it is the location of the original San Damiano crucifix, the one that spoke to Francis and told him to restore the church.   In his humility, Francis assumed that Jesus was talking about the physical church, breaking down, where the crucifix was locate.  And he repaired that church!  It was a wonderful to see that crucifix, and to wait in line to get into the church for it.

Thirdly walking downhill (an ultimately back uphill) to San Damiano, the church that Francis restored, and Clare and her followers stayed in.   The church is tiny, maybe a third of the size of either of my St. Peter’s churches, but it goes to show that it is not the building, or the size of the congregation, it is the people who really make the church.  And these communities rocked the world.    

I will have lots of photos when I get home. 

Lastly, I’d seen signs for a restaurant claiming a vegetarian menu: once back at Sana Chiara (to finish he Rick Steves walk) I saw the sign again an decided to have a heavy lunch there.   This was partly because I had not had eggs and the menu touted scramble eggs with ruffles 

So this was just an amazing lunch, all vegetarian.   First course, handmade pasta with Umbrian pesto, second course the aforementioned eggs plus pancetta salad, dessert pans cotta with blueberries, water, wine, an espresso to top the meal (we will see if it interferes with my sleep tonight).  And bread, which I only ate 2 slices of.   It was amazingly delicious.   If you ever go to Assisi, especiallly if you are a vegetarian (they do have meat options) ping me and I’ll give you the info- I took a card so that I woul have it.   

Now it is almost 2:30 and I’mplanning to finish the Rick Steves tour, head down the hill, visit the Basilica of SanFrancisco again, maybe stay for Vespers.

No comments:

Post a Comment