Wednesday, August 11, 2021

Planning Rome

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1a_ARQTX9MbCGq-27W9dMjsFUWzkx0V27
https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1DldCrebhYQxAsE7mPwgayLdAG_DIN-lc

My time here in quarantine is coming to an end.   It’s been boring, but not as bad as Scotland.   This apartment, while nice, and with rest coffee (Moka pots) is nonetheless quite small and basic, and has no place for me to walk, so I’ve been very sedentary.   I’ve continued cross stitching bookmarks, listened to NPR (Morning Edition comes on about 11 AM) and talked with family on the phone and on WhatsApp a bit. 

I’ve also planned a bit what I plan to do in Rome.   Here are my plans:

Thursday:   Leave here just ahead of noon (after Covid test) and head to Alessandro hostel, to drop my big bag, then visit a couple of churches (San Ignacio, Santa Maria in Travastere, St. Cecelia are likely). Evening, do Rick’s Heart of Rome Walk.

Friday:  Early morning visit Ostia Antica.  On return St. Paul Outside the Walls.  Possibly one or more other church if time permits. 

Saturday:  Entire day devoted to the Vatican.  9:00 AM ticket for Vatican Museums, Lunch pre-booked, St. Peter’s Basilica, if possible stay for Saturday evening Mass in St. Peter’s.

Sunday:  Churches.   Some of the ones on my list, are:

  • The Pantheon
  • The Basilica of San Pietro in Vincoli (St. Peter in Chains)
  • Basilica di San Clemente 
  • Basilica diSanta Maria del Poplo
  • Chisea di Santa Maria in Aracoli (?) 
  • Basilica di San Marco the Evangelist
  • Chisea di Sant’Ignazio di Loyola
In addition to St. Paul outside the Walls, Santa Maria in Travastere and St. Cecelia, which were mentioned earlier.  

Monday:  Morning Appian Way and Catacombs, Afternoon Milvan Bridge and Constantine Arch.

Tuesday: TBD, but likely will include the Mamartine Prison, where both Peter and Paul were imprisoned.  

I am looking forward to the tourism, though temps are predicted to be around 100 or so most of these days.   I will carry a lot of water and take it very easy, especially in the middle of the day.  

No comments:

Post a Comment