Monday, July 5, 2021

7 days - lots of concerns!

 7 days out.

Yesterday I booked a Covid test, which may not be the right one for me, here in the area, and also booked my day 2 and day 8 tests in Scotland.  Those cost a lot of money!   The one that may be wrong (not so much wrong as may not come back in time) is free, so I may take it anyway, and just use the Newark airport test site as a backup.  Getting a travel Covid test in State College is not easy!   

Scotland may be in flux, they announced that Covid restrictions will be changing in the UK, but Scotland is saying they may not lift them there.   So things may (or may not) change. At this point I will be keeping my Edinburgh address as planned the first 10 nights, but if restrictions change, I can actually see some of the area, and visit a nearby friend.   

Tesco, a British supermarket that delivers, was going to be my lifeline during quarantine.   I can't seem to create an account on their web site (they require a UK phone number to create one.)   So I've got a message in to them.   Hopefully, I will not have to fast for 10 days as well as quarantine!

And lastly, not sure about Germany.  Right now they have re-instituted quarantine for people coming from the UK.  Even vaccinated people. So I may need to go directly to Italy after Scotland, and not spend the weekend with my brother. ;-(  According to one website (thelocal,de) there is, however indication that restrictions from the UK may be dropped soon.  And I don't arrive in Germany until August 7.  So we will wait to panic until later!  

In the meantime the biggest issue is what to do with the 5 days I have between Edinburgh (possibly fasting in quarantine the whole time) and Iona, which I need to arrive at on the 31st of July.   One day I have booked a hostel in Oban, but that leaves me with several days.  Just need to figure out what and where!    Any suggestions for Scotland?  Outside, hiking and hostelling preferred. Thinking about Inverness area or the highlands. 




No comments:

Post a Comment