Sunday, July 11, 2021

The necklace; sabbatical “bling”

 



This necklace, with 26 beads chosen by my parishioners and 6 black beads representing those who did not choose a bead, is one I will wear throughout my sabbatical.   It has a scallop shell, which is a symbol of the pilgrim, and a variety of other beads.  Strung on wire with a magnetic clasp, it is to remind me of the community that I have left for a season, and that our refreshment and rest has a purpose; re-invigorating our ministry together for the next season. 

This morning we will say goodbye to one another.   In the litany that I posted a few days ago, my community will ritually relieve me of duty to them “for a season.”  They will present me with the necklace above, which represents all of them, and which I will take with me, and I will leave the building before the closing hymn Siyahamba (We are marching in the light of God: or hiking perhaps.).  

I’m not too silly.  After Pastor Susan Fairo says the benediction, I’ll be outside, so people can wish me well.   For a little while.   I need to get a Covid test at noon so I can fly on Tuesday. 

You should see this necklace in my videos and pictures.   You might be able to see the bead that you picked out, or maybe not.   My sabbatical jewelry will consist of this, a couple of very small silver hoop earrings to keep my ears from closing up, my Garmin GPS watch, my ImmunaBand that records my vaccine information, and my wedding ring (but not the engagement ring.).  Very simple, no changes, no real dress up.

But this is the most important piece.   It ties me back symbolically to those I have left behind, and reminds me that we are doing this sabbatical together, even if far away from each other. 

No comments:

Post a Comment