Wednesday, September 15, 2021

Beyond Service

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1frSxEoWZoLEn4FNRbvHHpfbocB9zsAiWhttps://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1UKQtO37YT3pZRlazf7PHQv6blvDxi-sY
A couple times I have taken groups of people to Washington, DC for a trip that combines exposure to different histories and stories with volunteering at Thrive DC.  These trips are usually billed as “service” trips, but invariably the group comes back having made new friends, having met people that they now care about, in the Thrive DC community, in the staff, and especially among the people who come to Thrive DC.

It should be no surprise to me to have the same thing happen to me, here in Hamburg.   I came to Brot und Rosen, originally, because I wanted to add a service component to my Sabbatical. Well, this trip has been very light on the service (though I’ve done a fair amount of cooking and dish washing, some tree pruning and some weed pulling, not to mention help unloading trucks and heading for the Bioladen (Health Food Store) which gives us their somewhat aged produce.

Did you notice the word “us” in the last sentence?   Because over the three weeks I have visited with Brot und Rosen, I have, instead of serving them, become one of them, if only for a brief time.   I have come to love A., the little baby, who I occasionally take for a stroll, or play with so his Mama can get a chore done.  I have come to care for the others here (I am not going into more detail here, as some of these people have complex stories, some are still working to become documented and accepted immigrants, and both they and I value their privacy. ). Their stories have touched me, but more importantly, sitting around a dinner table, enjoying a meal has bonded us.  Sharing a shower, and having to wait until someone is done (or, better yet, rising in the morning before the others to get a shower in before everyone else wants one) has bonded us.  Laughing together over our language struggles has bonded us. 

There is family you are born to and family you choose, for a season or for a lifetime.  This group of people is family to me, both the permanent residents and the ones staying here during a particularly difficult time in their lives.  At least for this season.   I hope some of them, someday, find their way to the US.   And I hope that there are other stays at Brot un Rosen for me, and maybe my husband, in the future. 

No comments:

Post a Comment