Friday, September 17, 2021

Community

https://drive.google.com/uc?export=view&id=1s3UH-xCaY6Cp-rvpFbZFW7YrDJtR9yBr
The Chapel at Brot und Rosen (pictured above) is a simple, paneled room with a candle, a bible (the Bible inevitably sits on the altar in Lutheran/Evangelical and Reformed churches in  Germany and Switzerland), a set of song and prayer books (and extra bibles) and a number of items to focus prayer, visually and using sound.  

While the original theme of my sabbatical was context (and I am indeed exploring context) the theme coming OUT of the sabbatical, so far, is community.   I stayed with the Iona Community in Scotland and with the Sisters of the Atonement in Assisi.  I explored the community of the early church in Rome, and made connections between the catacombs and the early churches, especially in Trastevere.  I am getting ready to, in Erfurt, stay in the Augustinerkloster where Luther was a monk in Erfurt, and have added the monasteries of Meteora to my Greece itinerary.   Of course the community here at Brot und Rosen, and the community of the Basisgemeinde Wulfshagenerhuetten. And I have experienced community in a number of youth hostels, even community coming together hesitantly, and at a distance. 

Community, it seems, is a theme I will carry back. 

One thing all of these communities have in common is daily prayer.   I prayed twice a day with the community in Iona, had evening prayer in Assisi with a couple of communities, prayed every morning with the community here at Brot und Rosen (and again before eating in the evening.)

It seems to me this community daily prayer is something that nourishes my soul in a very real way, and I find myself contemplating how that might happen in my own life. 

The Brot und Rosen service is very short and very simple.  An opening sentence, opening Taize prayer, bible reading, five minutes of silent prayer, a closing song and a closing prayer, inviting us into the day.  The morning and evening prayer at the Iona community is more complex, including some responses, but is also short. 

Is it possible that community prayer is what others in my community need?  Is it possible that I might find people to join me, either via internet or in person in the churches of the Rebersburg charge?

One issue I personally have, is a struggle to keep up daily prayer alone in the face of busyness.   With a community, and with that expectation, even if one must occasionally be absent, it is easier for me to persist. 

I am committed to repeating the Brot und Roses morning prayer M-F during the rest of my Sabbatical; keep watching this space to see how well I do with that!  But when I get home that will become much more challenging!  If you are part of my commmunity, local church or larger community, let me know if you would be interested in joining me, either in person or via some kind of streamed content!

No comments:

Post a Comment