Friday, September 3, 2021

Cooking for the House

I cook. 

People who know me, know that.   I just love to make a great spread for guests.   I love dinners that take all day (I love slow food.)

So I knew I was going to cook here at Brot und Rosen.   But the trick is figuring out what.   You need to use the ingredients that are available, mostly that have been donated by a food pantry group or the local Health Food Store (lots of produce a little past peak.  Sometimes well past peak. (Sometimes unusable.)). And basically you need to improvise with what is there.  And vegan is highly prized. 

After my coleslaw on Monday, which disappeared, and my plum cake on Wednesday, which was pronounced “lecker” (delicious) I had a reputation to live up to. 

And limited options for food.  I could get some things, but did not want to stress Brot und Rosen’s pocketbook (yes, the best solution is just to buy the stuff, and not worry about it, but I didn’t want to do a lot of that.  I DID spend 6 and a half euro on cheddar cheese and margarine. 

So I made Laurel’s veggie chili, some Spanish rice using leftover rice from yesterday, and an apple pie.  There were also a variety of raw veggies available. 

It disappeared.  I thought I made enough for 12-1 people, but fewer (about 9 showed up.).  But one person saved a portion for someone who was not there, and four people saved some for Sunday (there is no central table on Sunday, and everyone can cook and eat by themselves.

When all was said and done, the chili just disappeared.  There is still half an apple pie.   It was not the best apple pie I ever made, but it was OK.   I need Crisco, and there does not seem to be a comparable product here.   

Now, all I need to do is come up with something for next week.   Maybe Mac and Cheese?

No comments:

Post a Comment